+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plans/Build a Super Floater Glider

Plans/Build a Super Floater Glider

Hello Guys,

I am interested in getting or bulding a Super Floater glider.

There are a lots of plans on the net but which one is the best plans?

Do any of you has build one of this gliders?
    What will be the final cost of building it?
    Do you know a trusted company that is already selling a Super Floater Kit?

THX for your time and help

Turbo

Re: Plans/Build a Super Floater Glider

I did a search and could not find any plans, but would be interested in looking some over. On what web sites did you find these plans?

Quote Originally Posted by WurlyBird View Post
    I did a search and could not find any plans, but would be interested in looking some over. On what web sites did you find these plans?
    Check here:

http://home.att.net/~mikesandlin/g4doc.htm

They call it The GOAT, others call it The BUG but is almost a Super Floater

http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm

Isaac

Thanks for the links. I also found this sight which sells the "plans" for the Goat1 and Goat2, I am wondering if this is a case of someone selling someone elses free work. I have been reading up on the Yahoo AirChair group and there is a lot of good information. This would be a heck of a toy. I am so glad that my wife has already accepted the fact that there will always be a half built plane in the garage, because I have way too many project ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by WurlyBird View Post
    Thanks for the links. I also found this sight which sells the "plans" for the Goat1 and Goat2, I am wondering if this is a case of someone selling someone elses free work.
    You may still download the Goat1 drawings, g1z7.zip, Goat2 drawings, g2z2.zip, Goat3 drawings, g3z2.zip, or Bug4 drawings, b4z4.zip (get'em while you can, they won't be here forever).

http://home.att.net/~mikesandlin/g4doc.htm (bottom of page)
    I think your right...
    Jim

------------------------------------------------
    Express 2000FT (hopeful - Again)

Dont buy the goat plans .!!!! Mike posts them for free on his site for anyone to use. I like the BUG 4 alot . . I have the plans downloaded and ready.
    This has got to be the perfect takeoff
    Last edited by inventing_man; August 30th, 2008 at 10:28 PM.

That is horrible that some people try (succeed) at making money by selling open source information. In any case I have downloaded all the information that Mike has available and have been reading up on the Yahoo Airchair site. I am seriously considering building one of these things for a lot of reasons. My wife and I want to eventually build a perfect family plane and this will give us a taste of what it is like to not have free time and to have parts all over the garage. I would also like to get back into soaring and this does away with the need for a glider port. And could it possible get more peaceful then flying around like that.

I am considering a version that would be a mix of the 3 and 4. I like the strut braced wing better for both aesthetics and the reduction of noise and drag. I realize that it would probably be impossible to actually measure a performance gain, so it is probably more about the aesthetics. I would also like to incorporate functional flaps into the design to aide in short landings, but that will probably be a second wing after I fly something that looks like the original. I might also try a different tow release, some of that hang glider stuff gives me the heebie geebies. I don't like the idea of a tow hook that will only release if under tension. For now it is just a fun idea.

So, how many of you have assembled one of these Goat or Super Floater with those free plans? How much it will cost to do one? Is there are somebody thats sell a ARF Kit with all the material to assemble one?

THX,

Isaac

Turbo, I actually have followed much of the same route you're talking about. I just started a Goat4 project and have been considering using the wing struts from Goat3 as well. I haven't figured out how to mix the two yet, but I'm still back in the tail and haven't had to do any decision making yet ;-)

I found just one BUG project online:
    LadyBUG Ultralight Motor-Glider
    Anyone know of another with pictures and some descriptions and info?

The "technical drawings" that Mike Sandlin provides online are very nice and easy to follow. I've come from an RC background, so having a small book of plans is a treat compared to a typical two large plan sheets.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danstrider View Post
    Turbo, I actually have followed much of the same route you're talking about. I just started a Goat4 project and have been considering using the wing struts from Goat3 as well. I haven't figured out how to mix the two yet, but I'm still back in the tail and haven't had to do any decision making yet ;-)
    Hey Dan,

So, how mu$h you think is going to cost you the total project?

I found just one BUG project online:
    LadyBUG Ultralight Motor-Glider
    Anyone know of another with pictures and some descriptions and info?

Thank so much for the link, it has a lot of info an pics

Isaac

Hey Isaac,

I read some quotes from $3k to $5k depending on the expense of the parachute safety system. If it's any indication, the tail materials have cost about $250. If price per pound holds, I'm looking at about $25/lb which leads to a $3500 estimate. I have no doubt there are cheaper sources than Aircraft Spruce, but thought I'd be conservative with my sources for a first build until I got comfortable.

Dan

Not to bring up a year old post, but if you're interested in ultralight goat or bug gliders, see airchair-ultralight-gliders: Welcome for links to builders' blogs, materials lists, discussion groups, etc.
    Last edited by hess8; November 10th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread