• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

looking for a kit/plans for a sport plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubber314chicken

I'm thinking about building a plane, and I've decided that it'd be easiest to build a sport plane, as defined here: http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/aircraft_index.html

stalls less than 51 mph
fixed landing gear
138 mph max in level flight
mass gross of 1320 lbs
2 people (or one, but I want a two seater)
fixed/ ground adjustable prop

looking at those specs, what would a good, easy to build (preferably all wood construction as I have the tools and experience with wood, if there is any metal, it must be pre welded) plane? I've seen the plans for the fisher celebrity and the fisher tiger moth, and they look great, especially the open cockpit (which I'd end up stuffing a modern cockpit into someway or another....) and the biplane setup. The only problem is the cruise speed it a bit slow to really do any cross country flying in (well, I know that is true of any sport plane, but 120 mph cruse isn't is bad as a 80 mph cruise)

and if that isn't narrowed down enough, I'd like to keep it low cost.... $8,000 ish for the airframe....

edit- I know I messed up the title... It should be LOOKING for a kit/plans for a sport plane....

Last edited:
Back