+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cross Country??

Cross Country??

I'm looking to buy an airplane of the Quadcity Challenger type. If one was going from point A to point B, 1000 miles, and there were plenty of airports along the way, good weather etc, how far could one fly in a day?

Thanks

Re: Cross Country??

The limiting factors will probably be fuel tank size and the strength of your bladder. Both will determine how often you have to land along the way. 1,000 miles is only about twelve hours flight time at 75kts, but you could easily double that with stops along the way, plus some actual sleep thrown in for good measure, and you can't fly on a Sport Pilot license at night, assuming that's what you've got. Figure a minimum of three days for a flight like that in this aircraft. Four is more realistic.

I've heard great things about the Challengers, but if you're looking to do a lot of long cross-country like this, you might want to pick something a little faster. If you want to stick to LSA, you can get an endorsement on your Sport Pilot certificate to fly aircraft with a cruise up to about 135mph. That'll get you to 1,000 miles in a more practical fashion.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

So 250 miles a day is not unreasonable. I'm not going to be taking many 1000 miles trips, but I wanted an idea. I just don't want to be limited to fly the pattern 3 times and going home. Also, of course, the higher speed, the more gas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dk9874 View Post
    ...Also, of course, the higher speed, the more gas...
    Oh, to a point. I remember somebody did a calculation once for the single-seat Quickie with the original 22HP Onan motor and got 80 mpg at a 110mph cruise. I wish my truck did that well at 70mph!

Engine size is generally more tightly related to climb rate, all else being equal. A really clean design will cruise just fine on a small motor, if it can get enough climb rate out of it.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau

Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Greetings, DK. Cross country in a Challenger type plane is like cross country in anything else. "Plan the flight, then fly the plan." As to how far you can go, a friend of mine took his Challenger from here in Roswell, NM, to Oshkosh, WI. He made the EAA pubs last year.
    Percy

I've got an RAF 2000 at the moment, but want to build a Challenger as soon as I can get my RAF complete.

In Canada, we can now get the 17 USgal tank so if you're in a clipped wing and plan the trip, you can probably cover a lot of miles in a day.

Of course there is the determination bit. If you want to go, it probably doesn't matter what kite you're in, you'll probably get there.

Stew

For the bladder control issues you can always go with the piss tubey thing the glider types use. Not sure how comfortable they are to use though. Topaz, any comments?

Important tip for those who fly near gliders: do not fly through the small yellow cloud! especially not in an open cockpit.

Thanks for the unexpected smile...
    Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by needswings View Post
    For the bladder control issues you can always go with the piss tubey thing the glider types use. Not sure how comfortable they are to use though. Topaz, any comments?
    Well, I've never used one personally, but they're not uncommon for long cross-countries. It's not like you can land at a convenient airport for a pitstop and then take off again. Available from any soaring-supply store, for men and ladies. Connects to an overboard dump tube. How comfortable? Probably about as much as you'd imagine, but it beats "holding it" for hours...

Quote Originally Posted by needswings View Post
    Important tip for those who fly near gliders: do not fly through the small yellow cloud! especially not in an open cockpit.
    Yeah, gliders are dumping out liquids all the time. Sometimes it's just water ballast, and sometimes it's "pilot ballast". Any time the ballast-dump isn't colorless, it's a good idea to steer well-clear!
    Last edited by Topaz; March 28th, 2008 at 08:00 PM.

Hmmm, could be a rather dastardly competition tactic!

-Dana

The Bill of Rights goes too far--it should have stopped at "Congress shall make no law".
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

+ Reply to Thread