• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First plane: tricycle or taildragger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enewmen

Hi all.

I've read lots of threads about tricycle gear vs. tail dragger. But which is better as a FIRST plane? (currently I only know a C-172)
I'm contemplating building a Kitfox S7, CH 750 STOL/Cruzer, Kolb Xtra III, etc because they can do STOL on a grass runway and for doing cross country - don't forget plain flying for the fun of flying. (guessing) I will normally take-off on a small grass runway (my 1200' back-yard) and land on small municipal paved airports (usually Class E-airspace).

From what little I read: the tricycle is easier to land, can stop sooner, and easier to steer on a paved runway. The taildragger is more durable on a rough landing strip and requires better airmanship to to take-off and land correctly.

For the first plane, better to get lots of flight-hours on a tricycle before thinking of learning the more precise taildragger and trying BUSH flying?
OR
Better to just get a taildragger and learn correctly from the beginning?

One concern is even though I can find a paved runway near where I want to go (back-country Idaho, Wyoming, Montana etc), is it illegal to simply land on a open area on a National Park for a picnic or camping - even though on the aeronautical chart there are no restricted areas nearby an no obvious "Private Property/Restricted" signs? i.e. A place that may require a taildragger and huge Alaskan BUSH tires to land?
OR
If I want to that kind of BUSH flying, I need to go way-out in Canada/Alaska which I won't consider until a few years away anyway.

Any thoughts to help me decide?

thanks!

Back