• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ideas for a composite build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rookie1255

I'm finishing up an RV build and I'm already considering the next project. I would like to build a composite airplane and am looking for ideas. I'm looking for an easy build that can also be done fairly quickly. I plan on selling after completion so I don't really have a mission other than I want it to be inexpensive learning experience.

I considered a Glassair II FT, but the airframe is about $40,000. There's one on ebay for $55k, engine and all. Glasair II IFR Fresh Cond Inspection and IFR Cert Ready to Fly | eBay I don't want to throw too much money away in a build.

I don't care how many seats it has, I would like it to use an engine that is readily available used and relatively cheap. I would like to be able to sell it and at least recoup the cost of building plus maybe minimum wage for my time (I know, how greedy...).

I don't know if there are kit composite aircraft that are easy/quick to build, inexpensive, and have good builder support. It would also be nice if the kit had a good record of prior completions.

Absolute price is not a consideration so much as value is. If a plans built plane is $10,000 cheaper but takes 2000 hours more than a kit, then I would go with the kit. I would value my time at more than $5 an hour (how much more I haven't decided yet).

With suggestions please include estimated cost, estimated build hours, ease of build, and any other considerations I may have missed.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Back