• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is it finally time to build?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holtzy3

Hey guys! I know how much all of you love my lack of decision making abilities. I think over the past 3 years I've asked about at least 10 different designs. Anyways I have funds to start a build and Ill be finishing my PPL within 3 weeks! I'm very excited to say I can finally decide on an airplane!

So I'll let you guys know what I'm looking for in an airplane and Ill list the airplanes I'm looking at and Id like to hear any personal experiences with each airplane. If anyone knows an approximate cost to build one of the designs I mention please let me know.

Needs:
Decent climb (~700-1000fpm) rate for these hot California days
uses a smaller engine like an 0-200/0-290/0-235
Plans built (kit built might be an option depending on how my interview goes)
~400-600 NM range

Wants:
Aerobatic +/-6Gs
IFR (hehe just kidding)
Small storage area
2 seater?

Generalities:
I dont really care if its made of tubing or wood
1 or 2 seats doesn't really matter to me
This airplane will mainly be used as a commuter airplane or to be used for flights between college and home. (thus the short range)
Depending on the design It might be used in IAC competitions
Honestly I just want something small that will get me from point A to point B while having a little fun on the way.

Designs that I'm thinking about in order of desire:

WAR FW-190 (of course!, drop tank will be used for either storage or plumbed for a bigger fuel tank)

DR-107 one design, I understand these are high performance aircraft and would take all necessary measures to be safe to fly this style of airplane.

Cassutt! (im going to message the owner of heart attack racing tonight and see how much a cassutt costs to build)

Sonerai 1 or 2 (most likely 1)

laser z-200 (same thing as the one design, will take proper measures to fly properly)

KR-1 or 2

Midget mustang

Corby starlet!

Reason for building an airplane:
1. Homebuilts are just awesome
2. Id like to learn new skills
3. I love the feeling of completing something
4. Homebuilts have way better bang for buck than certified airplanes
5. I'm sitting around with too much time and money on my hands...

If you can think of any other designs I may be missing let me know!

Back