+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Zenith CH 701

Re: Alternative to Zenith CH 701

Coming late to the show on this one. I had a 701 for six years and I absolutely loved flying it. A great local- flight, off airport or back roads plane. A great choice for off airport use for someone preferring the nose wheel. I think the glide ratio is something like 6:1 with the light engine. Was hard for my step father to get used to the ground rush coming out of his super cub which floats forever before settling down. That seems to take some pilots getting used to. Even without flaps, every take off was short field and every landing too. Had some problems with the 582 and did some engine out landings. Nose down to get 55 and use the speed to carry through flare since the plane is light and has little momentum to carry it through. I changed out the engine for a Simonini Victor2 and made it a better plane. Put nearly two hundred hours on it before I sold the plane in Nov of 06 to finance a Dream Aircraft Tundra so the wife and I can be a constant threat to our children within 200 miles on short notice.
    The 701 will not disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Too thin to last long? What do they think of fabric wings? I'd ask for some actual examples of where the skin didn't last. If you don't get any, I would just consider this talk to be nothing more than hot air. I would also get data from Zenith on the glide ratio of the 701. That should put to rest any concerns in that area.
    Thin, flat skins tend to oilcan and they can suffer workhardening and cracking around rivets. That might be what some operators encountered. We find such cracking on high-time Cessnas in places where the skin flexes too easily, but the average PPL or homebuilder/pilot likely won't drive a 701 long enough to see fatigue failures.

A steep glide in a STOL airplane is to be expected, but it doesn't mean that it will hit hard. I'd much rather make a forced approach to a small clearing with the 701 than to a much bigger clearing with, say, a Mooney. Much better chances of stopping before banging into something at speed, and rougher fields won't bother the 701 as much.

Dan

The oil canning can be addressed to some extent with false ribs and x bracing in the wings and rear fuselage. The glide ratio is 5 or 6 to 1 with slats. If you do not use the slats but use VGs instead you can get that to 6 or 7 to 1. But like said I'd rather glide a short distance and have my choice of safe SLOW landing spots then glide a long way and still be worried about being able to safely land. See this link for the VG vs slat glide ratio info. You can extend the wing for better glide and lift as well, same link has some info on this. I'll not argue this point as the Savannah is an early CH 701 design copy with a longer wing just added on with no mods and a higher Vne.

StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

CH701 is the cats meow, unless you want to get a long ways fast.

Kevin

The glide ratio on a Savannah is 11:1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12