• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Want to build 2 place tube and fabric

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwbdriver

Hi all...long time lurker and have been very impressed with the expertise on this site. I finally received permission from the boss to start building. It must be a 2 place so as to take her and the little bundle of joy along (separately, of course). I like tube and fabric and have narrowed my search down to a Double Eagle, AirBike Tandem, Pietenpol or Spezio Tuholer. There are more out there and I'd like input on those as well. Although, I love the looks of the Airbike, the lack of a suitable 4-stroke option puts it down a ways on my list. The Double Eagle checks off all the boxes and I could go that direction. However, I just started thinking about the Spezio. It can use a Corvair engine (like the Pietenpol), has foldable wings and goes a bit quicker than the other designs. However, I am drawing a blank on finding plans. Can anyone help? I really like the folding wing option...or removable wings, like the Double Eagle.

Can anyone suggest anything else along those lines that I may have missed? My wish list is: home storage capability, relatively easy to build, either VW or Corvair engine, 2-place, and not too expensive. I have also looked at the Preceptor STOLKing and the Cub clones. Open cockpit is ok or something else that has great visibility. Tandem or side by side doesn't matter.

Currently, subject to change, I am finding the Spezio Tuholer a fascinating choice if plans can be found.

Thanks!!!

Back