+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fastest STOL homebuilt?

Fastest STOL homebuilt?

I am a missionary pastor, wanting to build a plane (because I have few funds) that can handle 2place plus 150# supplies, deal with grass/gravel rough strips, yet get us around faster than hitch-hiking... cheap to build/maintain.. maybe VW powered so I can work on it myself... that is what I need.. my dream is an inline 2pl twin that'll cruise circa 200 on VWs.. but I understand grass/gravel is not practical for inline twin... decisions decisions....

Almost wondering if a older used 152 might be a better bet? I've seen some in flying condition for less than $18,000 USD.

If you prefer a tail dragger, I just spotted a 172 for 25k.

As many people here on HBA have said, often times what you want, and what the budget allows are very different things.

I guess a start might be, what sort of budget are you looking at?

You might be able to build a VW powered Aircamper, which would seat two,
    and from the looks of it, would handle grass/dirt strips okay enough. Not sure about the Aircampers cargo capacity tho.

If I decide not to tackle my 2 seat lifting body aircraft in the next few years,
    I'll most likely go with the zodiac CH 640 since I can order each subsection kit as time/money allows.

http://www.zenair.com/performance.html
    I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. Im Dorothy Gale from Kansas. -
    Cmdr. John Crichton "Farscape"

Registered User jetblackaircraft's Avatar

Glastar

The airplane you described sounds exactly like a Glastar. It's made by Glasair and is a high wing utility plane. www.newglasair.com I got the chance to fly a Glastar sportsman 2+2 when I was in the northwest over spring break. I am so impressed with this airplane. It's not VW powered, but it will cruise up near 150 and lands at 50. we took off before the airspeed indicator even registered 40 mph. An incredible airplane. With the airplane stalled and mushing you can push the rudder pedals back and forth and it will not dip a wing. Incredibly stable, slow flight is amazing. Ask Glasair for the promotional video, it will sell you instantly. They call the sportsman a 2+2 because you can easily fit two adults and two children or two adults and a crap load of gear. the video shows them landing on the bank of a river and unloading camping gear (big tents, fishing poles, bicycles, propane stoves, etc.) Amazing!!! Definately worth a look.

By the way, when you build your own aircraft you can get the FAA to allow you to work on it yourself since you built it. I think you can't crack open the case on a factory engine, but you can pretty much do the same stuff that an A&P can do, just not an IA. I may be wrong. But look into it.

Oh, Aviatrix, did you decide on the Zenith because of the cost? Because to be honest with you, after seeing the Zenith airplanes up close, I would definately go with a Van's kit. You can buy the sections just like Zenith, but they are a bit more expensive. You really get what you pay for in my opinion though.
    Last edited by jetblackaircraft; August 10th, 2005 at 07:05 PM.
    Michael Black
    Owner - Jet Black Aircraft Co.
    Norman, OK USA
    mike@jetblackaircraft.com
    http://www.jetblackaircraft.com

The Glastar is an excellent plane. The Zenith CH 701 is also extremely popular with missionary pilots due to it's ruggedness and ease of maintenance (bush pilots tend to prefer metal for ease of repair). For a higher load, the four place Zenith CH 801 could also be considered. Neither of those is VW powered though. Those two aircraft actually sell more outside the US than inside, due to their bush capabilities. The Murphy aircraft models also get high marks for bush capability.

Jetblack,

For a 2 seater, I actually do like the RV-7,
    and the sub kit pricing isnt that bad at all.

The RV-10 on the other hand, is well over 10,000 more than the CH640.
    I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. Im Dorothy Gale from Kansas. -
    Cmdr. John Crichton "Farscape"

Hmm, I'm thinking Bearhawk Patrol for a 2 seater with lots of useful load and long legs. It won't do 200, but it's still no slouch. Cost depends largely on how much you do as the builder. I'm leaning more toward the 4-place Bearhawk, myself, but I think I'll tackle something smaller first.
    "I drank WHAT???"

--Socrates

I've also been pondering the Bearhawk kits. The price seems very reasonable and their ability appears quite good. Not that I've made a final decision as there are so many out there, but it's definitely in the running. Worth a look!

I looked at the kit, but it's a little beyond my means. What I'd like to do is build from scratch, though that'll take quite a while, so I'm wanting to start out with something along the lines of a Murphy Rebel, which will do us well enough until time to get the BH an engine... I'd hope the Rebel would sell enough for a good one.
    "I drank WHAT???"

--Socrates

How about a MCR01???

Empty weight 273kgs
    MTOW 490 Kgs
    Fuel capacity 80 litres, Wing tanks optionally carry 100 litres in total
    extra.
    Max TAS 155Kts, Vno 140 Kts, Cruise at 140kts at 18 litres per hour
    Stall 49 MPH
    Max rate of climb 0-10,000 ft in 7minutes 10 secs.
    Max g loads +3.8, -2.0
    UK permit to fly, daytime VFR, no spins. no aerobatics

MC01 Full flap image
    Last edited by CriCriOz; October 3rd, 2005 at 06:40 AM.
    Always treat your kite like you woman....
    Enter her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!

The MCR01 is a nice plane, but a bushplane? I don't think so.

Re: Fastest STOL homebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim78 View Post
    I am a missionary pastor, wanting to build a plane (because I have few funds) that can handle 2place plus 150# supplies, deal with grass/gravel rough strips, yet get us around faster than hitch-hiking... cheap to build/maintain.. maybe VW powered so I can work on it myself... that is what I need.. my dream is an inline 2pl twin that'll cruise circa 200 on VWs.. but I understand grass/gravel is not practical for inline twin... decisions decisions....
    If you go to the wagabond site they are selling plans for the old piper cub and the pa 17. they are basicly the same airplane except one is inline and the other side by side and the plans are about 125 bucks. You can also use a corvair engine.

+ Reply to Thread