• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A Hummel Bird for cross-country ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NACA

Hello everyone ! :D

It's been quite some time now that I'm seriously thinking about buying the Hummel Bird plans BUT I still have doubts :
The plane fulfills all of my desires except the cross-country bit.
I know it has not been designed for this purpose, however, me living in France, cross-country is not quite what it is in the US...
:gig:
Then I came across Bruce King's bird and his full VW fitting...as i'm not quite found about fitting a larger, heavier engine unit on such a small bird, I was thinking about something else:
What about about reducing the drag ? It would improve speed and thus range.
And so, after some photo viewings, I came to the conclusion that in addition to covering hinges, control rods, wheel struts and engine cylinders, I "could" redesign the wing shape to make them wider at base and shorter (keeping the same surface though) in a Mustang-like shape.
Moreover, a VW conversion isn't an option for me as VW engines are rare in France...which would lead me to design additional tanks for better range ( 2-strokes are not as economic, fuel wise).
I would appreciate some advice on this as it is quite the only thing keeping me from cutting metal:
Would the fuselage need to be longer with a wider wing ?
What about the engine ? Anyone has an idea ? ( i've seen that a Mac could be an option while browsing the forums)

Thanks to you guys and best of luck with your projects.

Back