• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilt Experimental from Certified Aircraft Parts..Can it still be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plexcom

I have been considering building an airplane such as the WagAero Wagabond, J6 Karatoo, or similar. Something that may fit into LSA guidelines (but not absolutely necessary). I have several sets of plans for different planes, including the Wagabond, J6 Karatoo, V6 STOL (Javelin), Preceptor Ultra Pup, and a few others. I also have drawings to most of the Shortwing Pipers. I have also been keeping my eye on existing projects or even complete planes. I would like to go experimental vs certified for the same reasons I was looking to do a project to start with...I can make it more what I like and want and on going maintenance costs will be less expensive.
The idea of starting completely from scratch is starting to look less inviting because of the time involved. I considered a kit plane, but I don't see anything exactly like what I want in my budget range. A project would be fun and allow me to spread the cost out over a period of time without going out and borrowing money and adding debt.
I just came across a project very close to me that is a Piper Colt complete airframe project with everything except the engine and prop, for the most part it seems. It is completely disassembled. It even includes the interior and some or all of the instruments and control cables and hardware. Trying to restore it to a Colt and getting it registered would probably be a feat, and really why because I would have a certified aircraft which I really don't want. I know about the 51% rule but I have seen projects like the Javelin V6 STOL where people have been able to make mods and register them as experimental. I know this was once easier than it probably is now, but for the price I could probably get this project for it sure would put me a LONG ways ahead on building what I want as an experimental. Yes, a lot of work still left to do, but having a fuselage and many other parts to work from would be great, and quite fun.
Is there any possibilities here for what I want to do? Experimental Exhibition? Use fuselage only and build the rest? Or do I need to talk with someone with local FAA to see if there is a direction I could go with this?
It just makes so much sense if so as the price is right and it is very close to me so getting it home would be easy. Or would I be better off trying to put it back as a Colt? I hope there is a way, if so I may have the perfect project for me.
The project's current owner's intention was to make a V6 STOL from it, which has been done using TriPacers and extending the fuselage and wings with a few other mods. The Colt's fuselage is shorter than the TriPacer though, which is perfect for making a two seat LSA plane. In fact, the Wagabond fuselage is pretty much a copy of a Colt fuselage (not the Vagabond which it is a replica of).

Thanks for any input. If anyone needs to PM me with any experiences you don't want to share here for any reason, feel free to PM me.

Back