• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Drag brakes worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockiedog2

I did several searches; lots of info but couldn't answer my question; most of what I found was on spoilers.
I'm working on an original design and am considering whether to install a drag brake in the belly. It's the typical problem...light, clean, coarse fixed pitch cruise prop, no flaps, high idle thrust, and short strip with obstacles...I know it'll want to keep flying.
Can somebody give me an idea of how effective I can expect a 6x24 inch flat plate drag brake in the belly might be at increasing approach angle and eliminating idle thrust float? I don't mind doing the work and will live with the weight if the results justify it.Some of you guys can probably do some math and come up with some numbers for me. If you wanta do it let me know what inputs you need and maybe I'll have it.
Generally this is very similar to a single seat Tailwind except lighter. Dimensions etc pretty close. Expected EW very near 500#, O-200
Thanks a lot guys

Joe

Back