• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Checking Wing Incidence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I am in the process of building a Cygnet SF2a with a few other EAA members in our chapter. This was a free project donated to us by a widow where the builder passed away before finishing. Its become our club project. Anyhow we found many mistakes we have had to fix. We had to cut off all the wing attachment brackets as well as the gear brackets. I designed and made new ones that could be installed to a fuslage that was already welded with obstructions from other tubes. We have everything ready to weld and I made a fixture to emulate the wing using a 3D printer. With my fixture, I can align both sides to have the same incidence then tack weld the brackets for a the test fit of the wings. Should something not be right I grind off the tack welds and make an adjustment. My dilemna now is while I can gaurantee that my brackets holding the wing will hold them at the same angle, I cant gaurantee that the spars and incidence connection exiting each wing are correct or match each other. I was hoping to buy an incidence meter like the ones I use on my Model airplanes.
Here is a link to what I want to find on a larger scale
TowerHobbies.com | Robart Model Incidence Meter

Does something like this exist for the full scale airplane world? If so where can I buy it? If not I may just have to make one. Or is there another way of doing this? The bottom of the airfoil is more or less flat and I was thinking I could put the electronic level there to get a measurement. Downside is it will only be a measuremnt I can use for comparison between wings. Doing it that way wont give me the actual incidence in relation to the harizontal stab.

Any thoughts?

Marc

Back