+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: G-1a "Adder" manned glider concept

G-1a "Adder" manned glider concept

hey, guys. I have been designing a manned glider called the G-1a "Adder", it is roughly based on the "Natter", of WWII, but is a GLIDER no rocket power, and with a longer wingspan. the plane will be made out of Foam, but will have a pipe running through the Wings to stiffen them, and a hard shell, like papier mache, or fiberglass. I have a rough sketch here and am open to suggestions on how to make it better. I just want to know if my design will fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G-1a "Adder" manned glider concept-adder.jpg  
    Last edited by natter4849; April 21st, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Re: G-1a "Adder" manned glider concept

Something that looks like what you've drawn could be made to fly. Tubes aren't very efficient spars but they make for easier construction. And you don't have an engine, so that gives you some leeway, weightwise. If you just wan't to glide and not soar, it could be a fun vehicle. There are some books that you would need to read if you havn't already: Hiscocks, Raymer,... etc. And take some lessons, for sure.

Catapult, auto-tow?
    The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy.

Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

It would take off. Like a hang glider, with. Maybe some landing. Gear, and glide down like a hill or off the edge of a cliff. Average flight time: maybe 45 seconds. But it could also be towed behind a larger aircraft.

Is this a joke?

Yes...yes that's a joke... -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
    Something that looks like what you've drawn could be made to fly. Tubes aren't very efficient spars but they make for easier construction. And you don't have an engine, so that gives you some leeway, weightwise. If you just wan't to glide and not soar, it could be a fun vehicle. There are some books that you would need to read if you havn't already: Hiscocks, Raymer,... etc. And take some lessons, for sure.

Catapult, auto-tow?
    how could it be made to fly? (Besides the flaps, ailerons, etc)

Hi Natter4849,

Welcome to the HBA forums! I've always been interested in the Natter myself. A really fascinating idea.

Thanks for posting your glider concept here. I fly sailplanes, so I always like seeing new glider designs.

Quote Originally Posted by natter4849 View Post
    how could it be made to fly? (Besides the flaps, ailerons, etc)
    Well, that's a little bit larger question than we could answer here in one thread. Designing full-size airplanes takes a bit of work, but if you're really interested in doing this, then I think you can find a lot of help here in HBA as you learn. As autodidact mentioned, there are number of books that can help get you going in the right direction, too. Perhaps the one you might want to start with is Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, by Dan Raymer. It's not a big book (only 143 pages), but by the time you finish the steps in there, you'll have a basic idea if your airplane will do what you want it to do, and a basic idea of how it will handle. A very good starting point!

I hope this helps, and gets you started towards designing your own airplane!
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

thank you, yes even though the natter was an EPIC fail, I like it too.
    Im still stuck on the flaps and such, but I've got a pretty good idea of what I want it to do, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I want to get started ASAP but I only have enough $$$ fore some of the materials, but I will have more after my B-day, but since I want to get started ASAP I need a few pointers on what part of the aircraft should be designed and built first. thanks

-Natter

thank you, yes even though the natter was an EPIC fail, I like it too.
    Im still stuck on the flaps and such, but I've got a pretty good idea of what I want it to do, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I want to get started ASAP but I only have enough $$$ fore some of the materials, but I will have more after my B-day, but since I want to get started ASAP I need a few pointers on what part of the aircraft should be designed and built first. thanks.
    Yep, a tight budget is always a challenge. I'm in the same situation with my own project. But it takes some time to design and build an airplane, so you'll have a chance to save up for it as you go along.

Generally the process goes like this:

1) Specifications: What you want the airplane to do, specifically, in terms of speeds, weights it will carry, how far, etc. We touched on this in the other thread.
    2) Concept Sketch(s): You sketch out one or more designs that you think might do the job. (you've already done this)
    3) Sizing: Figuring out how big the airplane needs to be, how much it needs to weigh, and so on, in order to meet the specifications. This is where you'll figure out about how big your wing really needs to be, how big your tail surfaces need to be, etc.
    4) Choose a final configuration and redraw: Based on step #3, you'll pick one of the candidate designs and redraw it based on what you learned in step 3.
    5) Preliminary design: Now you go into more detail about the design you've chosen: How big are the loads the air puts on things like the wings, the tails, etc. Exactly how are you going to attach the wings? Where do the controls go and how do they work? And so on until you've covered every aspect of the entire airplane.
    6) Structural design: Once you know all the loads on the airplane from step 5, you can figure out how big things like your spar need to be in order to carry those loads and be safe. You don't want the wings folding up around your ears!
    7) Detailed design: Once you have done step 6, you can now actually design and draw every part in your airplane.
    8) Build!!!
    9) FLY!!!

I know that all sounds like a lot of work, and it is. But for a simple airplane like yours, you'll get through it a lot faster and easier than a more complex airplane.

The book I suggested to you earlier will take you through the basic steps 1-4, in detail, step-by-step. The same author has another book, Aircraft Design, A Conceptual Approach that goes into much more detail and may be more useful to you later on, but the first one I recommended would probably be better for you right now, just starting out. A lot easier, a lot less "theory", and a lot more "let's do it!"
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Yep, a tight budget is always a challenge. I'm in the same situation with my own project. But it takes some time to design and build an airplane, so you'll have a chance to save up for it as you go along.

Generally the process goes like this:

1) Specifications: What you want the airplane to do, specifically, in terms of speeds, weights it will carry, how far, etc. We touched on this in the other thread.
    2) Concept Sketch(s): You sketch out one or more designs that you think might do the job. (you've already done this)
    3) Sizing: Figuring out how big the airplane needs to be, how much it needs to weigh, and so on, in order to meet the specifications. This is where you'll figure out about how big your wing really needs to be, how big your tail surfaces need to be, etc.
    4) Choose a final configuration and redraw: Based on step #3, you'll pick one of the candidate designs and redraw it based on what you learned in step 3.
    5) Preliminary design: Now you go into more detail about the design you've chosen: How big are the loads the air puts on things like the wings, the tails, etc. Exactly how are you going to attach the wings? Where do the controls go and how do they work? And so on until you've covered every aspect of the entire airplane.
    6) Structural design: Once you know all the loads on the airplane from step 5, you can figure out how big things like your spar need to be in order to carry those loads and be safe. You don't want the wings folding up around your ears!
    7) Detailed design: Once you have done step 6, you can now actually design and draw every part in your airplane.
    8) Build!!!
    9) FLY!!!

I know that all sounds like a lot of work, and it is. But for a simple airplane like yours, you'll get through it a lot faster and easier than a more complex airplane.

The book I suggested to you earlier will take you through the basic steps 1-4, in detail, step-by-step. The same author has another book, Aircraft Design, A Conceptual Approach that goes into much more detail and may be more useful to you later on, but the first one I recommended would probably be better for you right now, just starting out. A lot easier, a lot less "theory", and a lot more "let's do it!"
    thank you, I'm already reconsidering the design, I have built a scaled down model of the plane. it is built out of the same stuff, I think I either have to move the wings forward, or the cockpit back.

dude, the materials I will be using DONT require 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000s of dollars, because the airframe will not be put to the kind of stress that a bigger aircraft would. the materials I'm using do not cost alot of $$$ that doesn't mean that they suck, however.
    Even the cheapest planes that are built require close to 10,000 US$, like the Hummel Bird and those require thousands of hours of work. That's cheap in aeronautical terms, but still a lot of money for many people.

Mind you, thousands of hours of work means that you'll be spending several years, building every single day..
    Aude somniare

but its not an "airplane" its a glider, and I dont just plan to slap this thing together in 2 weekends and fly! I havent even started building yet.

launching a glider

how do I launch a manned glider from a runway all by itself without a tow plane, or its own engine? would a catapult work? y'know like on aircraft carriers? thanks in advance
    -Natter

Re: launching a glider

Natter,

How about just adding the questions to your original thread as they all pertain to the concept you are asking questions about. It would also help if you would look up some of these subjects in the archives and online as this has been covered in other threads.

You have two choices, winch or bungee. Bungee can be dangerous and precarious unless you are launching off a cliff. Most just car tow for low heights.
    Jay K.

VT USA

TFF

Re: launching a glider

Truly solo? You need a ground crew to make most work safely. Bungee, I guess, but it would suck if you launched the plane without you in it by accident.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast