+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aileron Trim?

Aileron Trim?

Getting real close to purchasing a CH650. As I mostly fly 172's, I was wondering from any of you out there who are flying lighter metal low wing what your thought on Aileron trim is. Is it needed-nice to have-don't bother!
    I have heard it helps when flying solo and/or to offset changing fuel load between sides.

Thanx
    Joe

Re: Aileron Trim?

I think it mostly depends upon what kind of flying you'll be doing. Long cross-country stretches? Might be nice to have. Mostly local hand-flying? Don't bother.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

It is handy. In case you are looking at one without the trim, it would be possible to add it after completion. I just did this step on my 601 kit last weekend. Your toughest part would be routing the wire inside the wing but I guess you could run it along the rear spar hidden by the flap.

I plan on flying more cross country, if it worth having I would just as soon install during construction. I'am hoping for a useful load around 580, so keeping the A/P light is big.
    Tim, what was your reason for adding it?

I have it on my plane but don't really use it...in fact right now I have the springs disconnected. I would probably Aileron Trim?-ailtrim5.jpgreconnect for a long flight. I think Topaz has it right. Not sure what the setup in a 601 is but maybe you could set it up as mine is and this does not require running a cable out in the wing.
    GoonieBird...(Don)
    KPYM
    http://www.n2charlie.com

My 601 has electric trim, I did not build the airplane so I have no idea how hard it will be to build but I like having it to me it is just as important as the elevator trim. The controls are pretty light in the 601 but it will wear you out fighting any pressure.

+ Reply to Thread