• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need advice on first homebuilt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC10Chief

I am looking to buy a homebuilt aircraft in about a year to a year and a half. I have been a private pilot for about 8 years now, but for the past couple of years, I have had to put flying on the back burner due to work and school. Anyways, I am looking for a plane that isn't going to be too advance for me to build. I'm not too concerned about build time. But I don't want something where I'm going to have to buy a bunch of tools that have no other use. Also, I would like a two place plane that would be okay for a little cross country and somewhat efficent. I hear VW makes some good motors. I'm not too concerned about the range. I don't like to fly for more than a few hours without getting out for a stretch of the legs! A cruise over 150mph would be nice as well. I was looking at KR-2S's but I'm thinking that it would be a lot of composite work. Also, they might be a bit small for my wife and I. We are both about 6'1". I'm 200 pounds and she is around 160. Also, I am not very familiar with the sport pilot deal. What is that all about? Would it even matter to me? What are the rules as far as maintenance on a plane I build myself? Can I do all the maintenance myself? How about a homebuilt plane that is already finished? Thanks for any info or suggestions on aircraft kits!! Matt

Back