• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rocket airplane building cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi everyone!

I was surfing the net and I found out that the cost of manufacturing or converting/modifying from conventional aircraft to rocket racer (for the rocket racing league) is 1 million dollars worth per airplane.

It s extremely expensive!
I´m not saying that an old quicksilver could do the trick but, the rocket racing airplanes aren t supersonic. I don t know maybe you need to reinforce them or do some modifications for weight and balance. You may even need to build them from zero even if there s no difference form outside if you compare it with the conventional aircraft with reciprocating engine.

Now if we consider the engine costs design, without entering on difficult maths, thermodynamics. It s like the ramjet engine, an engine without moving parts. So it s a lot easier to build than a, for example 2 stroke engine.
I ve seen many rocket bikes on the net, this guys don t have very rich sponsors supporting them, they are not the NASA.

Maybe the data I red on the net about the rocket racer was wrong. I think those airplanes have enough fuel for a 4min flight. Is it that hard to do it? Is it that expensive because of insurance costs?

I know the germans did that during the war but, they we re so desperate during those days they took all the chances, many pilots were killed testing those airplanes.

I would apreciate any comments from you,

thanks!

Oriol

Back