• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotor Pitch angle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

Ok i got'a Question for you fella's out there....

My Ultralight Gyrocopter has a Fixed Rotor pitch of 2 degrees....
what would happen if i changed it to say 4 degrees ?

i have thought about this for a while now and come up with a few theories...but no proof at all....

1. the Rotor would be alot harder to turn .... due to the increased pitch
but once up to flight speed it should do fine i would think.

2. it SHOULD give more lift .... but be harder to push through the air...
so top speed would be much slower.

But what about engine failure ? would the glide path be affected much ? and in what way? i would think that the increased pitch would
just swap hight above ground for lift at a given speed... fall below that speed and you decend faster....

Helicopters usually flatten out their pitch when engines fail in order to auto-rotate.... Correct ? now what happens if they don't flatten them
out all the way ? faster desent correct ?

So what i'm wondering is there a point of no return on rotor pitch for auto-rotation ? or what ? will a steeper pitch turn my Rotor blades faster than they are intended to go ? will ground speed have to be 70 mph to take off ??? hehehehe

I have a Pre-Rotator so spinning the extra load shouldn't be a problem
and i have hurd of other Gyro-Owners setting their rotor-pitch to 6 degrees for better performance...
I am realy courious just exactly What happens to the Rotors on a Auto-rotating arrangement when pitch is changed !!!

Thanks for your Time

Bob......

Back