• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spreadsheet for 4-stroke engine power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemans

Spreadsheet ‘4-stroke’ horsepower

For those who are planning on converting a 4-stroke engine, here is a spreadsheet
witch is really easy to use. It’s in metric units so I added the usual converters for
torque and displacement.

Why this spreadsheet?

I know there are a lot of claims out there who are based on wishful thinking and sellers talk. This spreadsheet will give you a fair idea if power-claims for 4-stroke engines are possible. I know that every engine is different so I added my so called ‘combustion efficiency’. This factor includes the correct percentage of volume aspirated by the engine, form of combustion chamber, used fuel, etc…
‘Combustion efficiency’ is directly related to specific torque – figures we can find easily on engine specs – industrial/cars/airplanes/motorcycles – and they are all related more closely then we expect.

I took the freedom to compare European car specifications to distillate a specific torque history throughout the years. We can see that the car industry is gaining no more than 0.5Nm a year… In production engines, records are held by the BMW M* series with a specific torque of 113Nm (CE-98%) and Yamaha R6 with 115Nm.(CE-100%)

It’s obvious that you can’t predict your future engine power if you don’t know witch CE value to fill in for your engine.

If you are counting on adding a correct ignition system, correct compression ratio, good timed camshaft and correct intake system, a CE of 75% for an industrial based engine is realistic as is a CE of 80% for car based engines.

You will noticed that high power is only possible in the very high RPM’s.
Example is an F1-Engine who delivers nearly 900 HP with a CE of 113% (@16000RPM)

Enjoy playing with CE – RPM and engine displacement.

By the way: 600cc is written as 0,6 liter - notice that it's not a point in the middle!

Attachments

• HBA-Enginepower.xls
    24.5 KB · Views: 717
Back