• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Carden Ford aero engine: how it should be done...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

I did a search on here and turned up nothing on the Carden Ford aero engine! This was a 1930s, certified conversion of an English Ford auto engine. It had about 1172cc, was cast iron, flat head, weighed a lot for it's power output, and had a reputation for being dead reliable. If you look you'll see that it had dual magnetos, a coolant pump driven directly off the crankshaft, and since it was a 1930s Ford product, most likely an output bearing that was longer than they are today, similar to the model T.

Crankshafts, pistons and rods, cams and valves - they're all pretty much the same whether auto or aero - it's the accessories that make a successful auto conversion, I see no reason that this same proceedure couldn't be used on a modern auto engine. You'd have a somewhat heavy, reliable, and inexpensive engine, and you'd have to design an airframe for it or build a replica of an older design. By the way, these photos came off of the Chilton-aircraft.co.uk web site, I recomend a visit http://www.chilton-aircraft.co.uk/:

Attachments

• carden1a.jpg
    carden1a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,418
  • carden2a.jpg
    carden2a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 816
  • carden3a.jpg
    carden3a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:
Back