• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Objective Engine Discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Maddy

I wish to begin gathering UNEMOTIONAL, tangible pros and cons on engine choices for my Cozy Mk IV. I won't be ready to begin working on my firewall for about 12 more months.

As I see it today I have the following engine choices:

Lycoming 360 or XP-360
Mazda 13B or Renesis
Jabiru 5100
Subaru ???

My background:

- I don't know squat about engines - all I know is that they are big, heavy, expensive, you add gas and oil, and it makes the big fan go

Issues I DO NOT want to discuss at this time:

- Resale value
- Religious discussions of using "standard" aircraft engine vs. auto conversion.

Here are some questions I have at this time:

1) Can I anticipate any mods to the airframe (probably the strakes?) due to engine choice? I'm guessing the only effect might be the plans fuel system if anything.

2) Fuel - Can the XP-360 use autogas? Can the listed auto engines use 100LL? For those of you using an auto engine - how do you get autogas to your plane?

3) While I hope to learn a lot more about my engine, whichever I choose, I don't expect to learn enough to do all work myself when it comes to maintenance. Obviously, the XP-360 can be repaired at most airports. For those with auto engines, what options do you have for repair?

4) Living in Denver, I expect to fly above 10,000' quite a bit. Am I going to want a turbo auto engine? What is equivilent for the XP-360?

5) I'm most likley going to want dual electronic ignition (no magnetos). If I went with the XP-360, how different from the Cozy plans will the engine install be?

Here is my current list of Pros/Cons for XP-360 vs. auto engine:

XP-360

Pros: Fairly standard, mostly plans install. Improvement over true Lycoming. Get repairs at most airports. Get 100LL any airport.
Cons: Expensive repairs.

Auto Engine

Pros: Newer technology. Much cheaper repair. Cheaper parts at local auto parts store.
Cons: Smaller knowledge base. Huge deviation from plans install. Might need custom cowling. Where to get repairs? Where to get gas?

Comparisons that I see as a wash:

- Initial installation costs will end up being about the same.
- Installed weight/CG will be about the same.
- I know nothing about either so I have the same amount to learn.

I'm sure I'm missing some things here (and that is why I'm asking for help).

Again, please keep answers and suggestions as objective as possible. I don't want to start religious battles with this thread.

Thank you all for the help.

Back