• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What is the "best" auto engine for aircraft use in the 250-350 HP range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are working on a one-off design similar to this: Bienvenue sur LH Aviation.com

The main difference is that ours is going to be bigger, guessing 200-300 HP, main mission is fast long distance XC. The neat thing about that layout, with the engine in the middle, is that we're not starting from a previous design that's expecting a 300 pound engine or something hanging off the nose...the engine can be whatever it needs to be weight-wise (within reason) as it won't throw off the CG. We're planning on using a belt PSRU or maybe Tracy Crook's PSRU (or Geared Drives if someone picks up that mantle since Bud passed away). Also, because this thing will have a driveshaft, some sort of rubber isolator can be used to help prevent harmonic issues.

Also, because of the desire for high-altitude performance, I'm expecting to turbo-normalize.

So...given all of that, what's the best bet for a reliable, light-weight, well powered engine?

Things I've looked at so far:

Chevy LS2 (Corvette)
Chevy L92 (Escalade engine)
Renesis
20B rotary
Ford Vortec 4600 (inline 6)

My current favorites are the L92 (all aluminum, built like a brick sh!thouse, and a lot of power) and the Ford I6 because I have a soft spot for inline engines.

Because this thing is a one-off design with a lot of flexibility, some other engines that typically aren't considered are options. I'd prefer the engine be available as a crate engine so that we know the entire history of it, but if not at least having parts available so a teardown and replacement of the critical parts is possible.

We're also planning on running a pair of Motec or Megasquirt ECUs, controlling EFI and ignition, so we don't have to worry about bastardizing a distributor and cobbling a carb onto it. We also have access to fabrication skills and equipment, so something like making our own intake runners, exhaust, etc is a possibility.

Basically, you have a blank sheet before you. What do you use for an engine core?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

Back