+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine

Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine

Anyone seen one of these flying (not in a SeaDoo)? I have a new one in my garage that's waiting for an airplane to be wrapped around it.

BRP-Rotax

Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine-1503-rotax.jpg

Re: Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine

Pretty!

I think I'll take off the Supercharger and Inter-cooler and adapt it to a lightweight 80hp VW engine. Maybe get 100-110 hp out of it. I'll the the now 155 hp Rotax in my boat.

OK - these are crying out for an aircraft conversion - dry sump, supercharged, tiny, built for sustained power output (marine)...what's not to like? Price perhaps? The power levels are insane and you could afford to de-rate them for longer life and still have an extremely good power to weight ratio. Mate it to a suitable Rotax gearbox and see what happens.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Quote Originally Posted by PTAirco View Post
    OK - these are crying out for an aircraft conversion - dry sump, supercharged, tiny, built for sustained power output (marine)...what's not to like? Price perhaps? The power levels are insane and you could afford to de-rate them for longer life and still have an extremely good power to weight ratio. Mate it to a suitable Rotax gearbox and see what happens.
    I agree, it needs to be tried. The price isn't bad at all unless you try to buy a brand new one from a seadoo dealer. You can pick up used Seadoo RTX with less than 50 hours for about $5-$6k. There's a guy on ebay that will completely rebuild them for about $2k. I picked up my complete engine (35 hrs) with ecu at an estate sale for about $2300.
    One drawback is that BRP-Rotax will not release any technical information on it because of their exclusivity with SeaDoo.

the power take off would have to be done differently. currently in the doo's the driveshaft runs through a seal and a bearing that is just a rubber boot that is connected to the engines oil pump cover. this leaks in the ski's as is. you would hate for this to fail in the air and dump all the oil out or the engine through its rear seal. also there is no support there for a driveshaft. a new end cover could be made to remedy this. They are great engines i work on them almost every day. they are lighter than the yamaha 4 strokes. they are 1500cc 3 cylinder 4 strokes. plastic intake and throttle body with water to air intercooler. closed cooling (except) the exhaust manifold has water jackets in it that discharge into the exhaust, a new manifold or header would have to be made. also the water to air intercooler in the manifold is quite small and made of brass. and uses whatever water you are running the ski in for cooling. a traditional air to air intercooler would be needed for aircraft use. and the big thing about these is the supercharger bearings and washers. oem they use ceramic clutch washers and stainless steel ball bearings. you have to do the opposite with ceramic ball bearings and stainless steel clutch washers. there is huge aftermarket support even vortech superchargers has new profiled compressor wheels to upp the boost and hp levels. There is a rotax racing ecu that is fully programable. and the stock ecu can be reflashed. also the first ones with the red superchargers were prone to dropping valves and the supercharger failing.
    another downer is the electronics are verry sensitive. even dialetric grease will cause a short to ground code and a check engine light. also they won't run or power up without the info display found on the ski's. They run somewhat high fuel pressures of around 64lbs. and are a returnless system. other downfall is the seadoo/ rotax dess system/ safety lanyard. there is 9 codes available but the safety lanyard has to be used and no way of disabling it. even worse if it comes unhooked you have to reconnect it, wait for the security sequence, then start the engine. if it doesn't start or too many attempts to staart it locks you out. then you have to remove the lanyard, wait, re atach lanyard and try again.

with aftermarlet engine management they would be great for aircraft conversions. but still would require reduction.

I'd personally leave the induction system alone. You don't have to continuously use the 215hp and re doing the intake system will require major tinkering to get it right. A throttle stop that you could over ride if you wanted to, would be a lot simpler.

Rick

its not the fact of leaving it alone. its the fact the intercooler that is in the intake manifold uses raw water from the jet pump circulating through it to cool it. putting this engine in a plane there would be no cooling water to cool the intake air charge. yes the engine has a closed cooling system but the exhaust manifold and intercooler are cooled by the water from the jet pump and are the water that the craft is being ridden in. also a seadoo has no radiator, they use the ride plate that is at the rear of the ski on the bottom as a heat exchanger. Yes for an airplane you would substitute this for a conventional radiator. A new exhaust manifold/ header would have to be made as the stock one is water jacketed and again cooled with raw water and not coolant. the intercooler would have to have a seperate cooling system, pump, and heat exchanger if you were to keep the water to air oem intercooler in the intake manifold. or just remove the intercooler and put an air to air core between the supercharger and the throttle body. make sure to incorporate a blow off valve so when the throttle is reduced or backed off the boost and air has somewhere to go.

it is certainly doable. if further interest pm me, i work on boats and jet ski's all day. and have a few contcts for acquiring these engines if someone wants to try.

Well, the Rotax has been sitting in my garage for 2 years now, and I've done nothing with it yet. I was busy building a shop and a boat (that could use this engine).
    Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine-img_0070.jpg

I've been looking at it some more and I think the PSRU is going to be the hardest part to design & build to convert this engine; not many places for it to mount.

I weighed the engine this morning and it appears to weigh about 240 lbs at most (subtracting estimated weight of the extraneous items.)
    Rotax BRP 1503 SC IC 215 HP Marine Engine-img_0363.jpg
    First project is to hook up all of the electronics and getting it running on the shop floor with a rigged radiator.

It is destined for my boat or a Bushby Mustang II (maybe.)

+ Reply to Thread