• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax vs Lycoming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic_Sheep

Just a question... I haven't checked out the price for Rotax engines but how does Lycoming make money? The way I see it, O-320 is 2ce as heavy as a Rotax 914 although it does have the extra 35hp which is not a lot considering the weight gain I think. Then there's the price. I'm assuming Rotax are a lot cheaper than the Lycoming (20k for a 280 or something along those lines?) I'm comparing certified vs certified here. But really, I just don't understand why anyone would buy a Lycoming over a Rotax given the specs on paper. Please comment and enlighten my ignorance in this regard.

Back