• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine mount design for alternative engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB_Summit

Hi everyone,

I'm in the early stages of building a Zenith CH-701, and I'm in the process of researching and learning about my engine options. I'm considering using the Suzuki 1.3L auto engine with a belt reduction drive. I'd like to learn more about what would be required to design and build a safe engine mount for this engine.

I have Tony Bingelis book "Firewall Forward" and it explains engine mount construction for conventional Lycomings and Continentals, but it doesn't touch much on mounts for alternative engines. Does anyone have any reading material they could suggest to learn more about this topic? Or have any pictures they could share of mounts they have fabricated? Or could someone share some tips or advice on engine mount construction as it applies to alternative engines?

I've attached a picture of a 1.3L engine from Tony Duncan's "Prairie Sky Engine Services." I'm curious if the mount it is on is just for display purposes, or if it is a mount that would work in an actual aircraft. If it would work in an airplane it looks like it would be simple and easy to build. Any comments as to whether this style of engine mount would work?

Thanks in advance,
Randy in Alberta, Canada

(see attached picture)

3453.jpg

Back