• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine selection - Ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I just placed an order for the tubing to build my first ultralight. It's a really simple, back-to-basics, design. The suggested engine is a 2-stroke that's not in production any longer that is about 65# plus the weight of a re-drive. I never have had much luck with 2-strokes so want to go 4-stroke and have pretty much narrowed my engine selection down to 3 different engines. All would be used tractor configuration and direct drive. They are;

Kohler 27 HP Command (94#)

Briggs and Stratton 23 HP (77#)

2A042 Teledyne 18-20 HP? (about 79# stripped, I understand)

I'm basing my assumption that the plane will perform to suit me with any of the engines on others' reports of performance figures with this HP level in ultralights, and also some performance calculations based on wing span, gross weight, climb and cruise performance, etc.. I expect to have to work out weight and balance since any of them are heavier than what's spec'd. I also have done enough math on the construction side of the project to feel confident that I can come in under the magic 254# weight limit.

That was a long way around to my question and it is....
Does anyone here have experience with, or knowledge of, any of the engines listed and would you either recommend, or dissuade me from using, any of them? Here are my thoughts on the various engines.

2A042 Teledyne - The 2A042 is attractive as a inexpensive choice and it "looks like an airplane engine". The Yahoo groups on the internet that discuss the 2A042 and other surplus engines have several members reporting that they are currently flying them and THAT is very attractive from a experience and support standpoint. I talked with TN Props this AM and they verified having cut props for them, and they were of the length and pitch I had heard about on the Yahoo groups

Kohler - A local seller of commercial engines, who I trust, has a preference for the Kohler as being smooth and economical, compaired to the B&S. It is the one that needs to go on the biggest diet though. He does feel it can be stripped of a lot of weight, including the electric start, and thinks it could get in the +/- 80# range.

Briggs and Stratton - It is very attractive from a weight and price standpoint. From a #/HP standpoint it would also seem to be an attractive choice.

I'll look forward to getting input and certainly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. I'm asking my question here since it seems there is an absolute wealth of knowledge on this board, and I'd feel that opinions given would be well-informed and un-biased.

Thanks

Lynn

Back