• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Choice of engine for Bearhawk Patrol – Mistral rotary or stroked Lycoming? Or..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnus Wallner

I'm thinking about engines for my Patrol build.

I've been bent towards a stroked Lycoming, perhaps a Superior or maybe a BPE or Bob Barrows built motor, with low compression for fuel and reliability reasons. The max recommended HP for the Patrol is 210 hp but I've been talking to the kit manufacturer and there doesn't seem to be any concerns about giving it a little more. I want it to perform on floats too and floats are heavy and draggy.

Then I read the three part story in Kitplanes about the Glasair III with a Swiss built Mistral 300 hp rotary (wankel). I went to their website and they have a 200 hp n/a 2-rotor and a 230 hp turbocharged 2-rotor that both could work. I like the idea of having zero vibrations and multiple gas choices (100LL is getting very expensive in Europe).

The n/a is 298 lbs and the turbo is 328, including alternator, starter and PSRU, add for oil, coolant/radiator etc. From what I can tell that's about the same as a dry IO360 sans accessories but there are so many versions my head spins.

What say you? Is the wankel a reasonable choice for a reliable and long term cost efficient power plant or should I go for a mogas "approved" flat engine?

Some concerns about the Mistral are noise, warranty, PSRU tbo-times, price and availability. I've contacted them but I don't expect to hear from them until after the holidays.

Last edited:
Back