• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Prop damage from AWOL spinner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

Last weekend I lost my spinner through my prop. I had removed it the previous weekend because the screw kept coming loose. I was going to leave it off until I found the right solution. An A&P where I keep my plane saw me messing with it, and came over to help. He went and grabbed a bolt and a difference nut plate, and put the spinner on. He didn't torque the bolt down as tight as I would have because he "didn't want to crush the nose of the spinner". I questioned him on it, asked if we should put lock-tite on it, and he said "naw, that ain't comin' off". Last time I take advice from him. :mad:

Two flight hours later the spinner went through the prop. Although the damage to the prop wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, I'm still wondering if my $1,300 prop is now a wall-piece. I've already contacted the manufacturer (Prince Aircraft) and I'm waiting on their response. Let me know what you think. I did fly ~2.5hrs after this occurred (after checking it out on the ground).

Pictures:
http://www.wotelectronics.com/prop/

Back