• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Propulsion System comparisons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviatrix

Greetings,

I'm in the planning stage of a home built craft, possibly smilar to the Facetmobile or A Delta 2 style craft.

I'd like to use a pusher prop, or even better yet, a ducted fan.

From what I've been reading here if I went with a straight jet engine, I'd have horrible fuel economy.
At most I'd be able to carry 40 gallons of fuel, although I'll most likely carry 20-30.

Based on the size and weight of the plane I'd need something in the 120 - 150 HP Range

I'm not sure how ducted fans and jet engines compare pounds of thrust to a piston engines's horsepower.

I also suppose lightweight powerplants and inexpensive powerplants are mutually exclusive?

I'm trying to work under a $10,000 budget, which I understand is probably tiny compared to some of the projects talked about on here.

Anyone know of any suggestions, guides or experiences that they can share to help?

I'm also looking for a guide on experimental aircraft and FAA guidelines,
so as to make sure that once the plane is finished I can "legally" have it up in the air.

Thanks in advance.

Back