• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ducted fan expertise on this forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenkad

Hello,
I do not know if this is the best forum thread for this question.

I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has recent experience with ducted fan design. I have attached a JPG of a design that I plan to have Aero students at a local community college do some testing with. The propellers are not shown in the JPG, but each pod/shroud has two four bladed contra-rotating propellers. The unit uses 16 inch propellers (tractor and pusher). The testbed is to determine the best contra-rotating prop location (front to back), best RPM (can be different for each four bladed propeller, front slower than rear), amount of thrust for a given PM BLDC input power, best pod/shroud design (pod/shroud may not be symmetric), possible use of a small rear trim tab for pitch control use o a single passenger LSA, etc. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thank you for reading and your positive comments. I have tried to find most of the available literature on the Internet. The best report was a paper published by a university in Singapore (http://www.icas-proceedings.net/ICAS2010/PAPERS/150.PDF). I have not contacted any company such as Trek because I assume they would not want to provide proprietary info anyway. I do not have access to any classified reports either.
kenkad

Attachments

• ductedfanfrontassy1.jpg
    ductedfanfrontassy1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,831
Back