+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Latex paint on fabric covering

Latex paint on fabric covering

Hello eveyone,

I found this article on the Bowers Flybaby website, thought it was pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with using latex paint on fabric?

What are your opinions on this application?

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/latex.html

Latex

Ashraf -

The last place that you want to save money is in the finishing.

EVERY time you open your hanger doors, what you will see is the outside of the airplane, with all the beauty that you put into it with your hard work.

Yes, Latex will work. It will be heavier than some finishing products, lighter than others. You still need to encapsulate the fabric, put in some UV protection, and develop a finish coat

The latex-painted airplanes that I've seen have been downright UGLY, and I would not to claim one as my own.

For a fast, complete finish, check out Mike Loehle's systems. One black primer coat, one white primer coat, color, and clear. You can do without the clear, but it really protects the paint. Sometimes Mike is able to finish an entire airplane in one day.

Traditional dope gives a good finish, albeit a bit labor intensive. Polyfiber gives a good, durable, good-looking finish also, witha bit less work, and a bit less gloss unless you finish with their urethane paint, which is highly glossy.

Make that airplane as beautiful as you can - you have devoted several years of your life to it.
    Craig
    Bakeng Duce NX96CW
    Jupiter, FL

Loehle System

I too like Mike Loehle's system ...

Loehle Aero Coatings

Craig, Did you attend Mike's SnF seminar this year? I remember Mike saying the same things you just did! Mike has a great knowledge of paint systems and his presentation this year was very informative.

--
    Michael

Noted... Latex paint will stay in the house.

Mike's Forum

Michael -
    Yes, I did attend the forum. I have started a small business dealing with covering/painting airplanes, and had been introduced to the system about 6 months ago - after seeing it on a gorgeoud Stearman.

Most of the good systems - Loehle's, Polyfiber - are very easy to use when done properly, and seem to last forever.

And it is always a joy to open the hanger door and see YOUR little beauty shining at you!
    Craig
    Bakeng Duce NX96CW
    Jupiter, FL

Loehle System Weight

I've got a question into Mike, but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm giving him some time to recover from the SnF trip!

Maybe you might know the answer. Next summer I'll be painting an all aluminum aircraft and trying to determing how much weight a properlly applied primer(white)/color/clear Loehle system is per square foot. I'd love to order a small quantity of his paints and paint several 1'x1' aluminum squares and measure the before and after weights and get high,low and average numbers. Couldn't take that much product. But for an experiment, I think that would cost too much. I don't want exact numbers, just ballpark numbers. Any ideas?

Later,
    Michael
    Sonex #293

Weight

Michael, I really don't know. A typical homebuilt like Cub-size usually has between 45 and 75 lb. in the cover and finish. It is about 8-10 lb. for the fabric, the rest is glue and paint and reinforcements.

Mike delivers good mil thickness in his various coats - about 2 mil/coat for four coats, or 8-10 mils. But that is still thinner than Polyfiber, with 1 mil per coat for a minimum of 12 coats, or dope, with 30-40 coats at 0.5 mil each.

It will be interesting to see his response, or your test on foot-square pieces of aluminum! Better get a gram scale.
    Craig
    Bakeng Duce NX96CW
    Jupiter, FL

Re: Latex paint on fabric covering

Old post but.... Fisher Flying Products just posted Latex as an acceptable way of covering. I need to recover my wings the least expensive way. What do you all think of it on an all wood wing?

Whomever covered my FP202 did a poor job and I'm uncertain what was used. It's peeling off and leaving clean fabric. I think if I can peel all of it off I can do the paint without removing the Dacron. The cloth was glued and tightened beautifully. I'm not sure what went wrong with the sealing process.

Quote Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
    Old post but.... Fisher Flying Products just posted Latex as an acceptable way of covering. I need to recover my wings the least expensive way. What do you all think of it on an all wood wing?

Whomever covered my FP202 did a poor job and I'm uncertain what was used. It's peeling off and leaving clean fabric. I think if I can peel all of it off I can do the paint without removing the Dacron. The cloth was glued and tightened beautifully. I'm not sure what went wrong with the sealing process.
    I did the latex thing and it's awfully heavy. I used an automotive urethane as a topcoat, and once the job was done the cost was as bad as if I had used Poly-fiber all the way. You mostly get what you pay for, but in this case I got a lot less.

If your finish is peeling off and leaving the fabric bare, the first coat was sprayed on. Poly-Fiber, for instance, will warn you to brush the first coat into the fabric; this forces the stuff through the weave and encapsulates the fibers, making it impossible for it to fall off. Subsequent coats spayed on will melt into the previous coat and bond well, but spraying onto bare fabric will just result in it's sitting right on the surface. Since the fabric is polyester, it's slippery and not much will actually stick to it; it has to wrap around every fiber.

Dan

Thanks Dan, did you use just 3 coats? It seems two are sufficient to fill the weave. then a top coat of color choice?

I have to be honest, I'm looking at cost alone on this. I may do the poly fiber if the coat on there peels clean. Dacron+ poly is too much for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
    Thanks Dan, did you use just 3 coats? It seems two are sufficient to fill the weave. then a top coat of color choice?

I have to be honest, I'm looking at cost alone on this. I may do the poly fiber if the coat on there peels clean. Dacron+ poly is too much for me right now.
    I did two coats of black as a UV blocker (which I've since heard may be less than ideal; black blocks visible light but it might let UV through) and a coat of white so the yellow had some hope of covering it. All three were wet-sanded between coats, and latex wet-sands beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
    I did two coats of black as a UV blocker (which I've since heard may be less than ideal; black blocks visible light but it might let UV through) and a coat of white so the yellow had some hope of covering it. All three were wet-sanded between coats, and latex wet-sands beautifully.
    The special carbon-black paint used as a UV block on composite airplanes should do the trick in one coat.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    The special carbon-black paint used as a UV block on composite airplanes should do the trick in one coat.
    We need more scientific study of this. As Dan said, UV is not visible light. UV can be blocked by clear films. Ordinary sun block for skin, for example, is clear. I have heard that transparent mica is also used for a UV barrier in clearcoat paints.

Since UV light is more energetic than visible light, it could penetrate deep like X-rays, but who knows for sure?

The titanium dioxide in white paint may be just as good as carbon black.

I have been looking for good data regarding paint thickness, so far I have not found much.

I was speaking of the UV-barrier primers made specifically for homebuilt composite aircraft use. They seem to do a dandy job of protecting fiberglass/epoxy structures in actual use, with some of the older EZ airframes having more than thirty years of service and exposure.

UV is still light, in the lay sense. It just happens to be just beyond our visual range. X-rays are quite a bit farther along in the EM spectrum.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

I've read of people successfully spraying a thinned latex over an aircraft-grade silver UV coating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast