• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Affecting thrust/propeller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebonheart_2

Howdy

I've tried to leave the title kinda vague because I wouldn't want to start a new thread just to ask about a rudder sitting in front of a propeller. ;)

I'm wondering how a fin and rudder sitting in front of the propeller (in a pusher configuration) affects the propeller and its thrust when it's being used. How far would the TH of the rudder need to be from the propeller; a foot maybe? Would it be any better to have an all flying rudder instead of a conventional type?

I'd also like to ask if anybody knows what was done about bailing out in a yellow pusher aircraft that raced in formula 1 during the 80s I think. It had a T tail that went over the top of the propeller disc (I think) and had little canards on the nose... I guess the pilot could still bail out without hitting the propeller at 300Mph?

Last edited:
Back