• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is there a safe media blasting material for paint removal on composite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAero

I know the first choice for most people is sanding. Some people have suggested there are safe chemical strippers, but I don't trust that. Another alternative to sanding would be media blasting. Several sites have products listed as safe for fiberglass. I'm pretty sure they are referring to Corvettes and boats though. At the softer end of abrasives there is baking soda and plastic bead. The mid-range would be glass bead and the real rough stuff would be sand. Has anyone tried soda or plastic bead blasting to remove paint from an epoxy fiberglassed aircraft? Are there any educated opinions if not?

Back