+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wsimpso1

Thread: fiberglass landing gear legs

fiberglass landing gear legs

can anyone recomend good book or good website with pictures how to make fiberglass landing gear legs useing different technicks and material include roveing ,s glass,etc thank you

Registered User MadRocketScientist's Avatar
    Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.

Re: fiberglass landing gear legs

I would be interested too, I have made a few sets so far but any more info is always helpful.

Shannon.
    Building CriCri #706

While it's not going to give you precisely the answers you want here, Pazmany's Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft is the Bible for designing sportplane landing gear. A must-read if you're going to venture into creating your own.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Rural Solano County, California, near Travis AFB.

There is a short photo-tutorial showing how one guy does it here: Cured Composites

Yes he builds these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fiberglass landing gear legs-lg1.jpg  

It would be nice to see somebody successfully build some bush worthy composite gear legs. Helio tried and failed. SUre would be nice to have some lighter weight gear on the cub but still strong. Not sure if it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    It would be nice to see somebody successfully build some bush worthy composite gear legs. Helio tried and failed. SUre would be nice to have some lighter weight gear on the cub but still strong. Not sure if it is possible.
    Fiberglass tends to be heavy stuff. A glass leaf gear could be lighter than a steel leaf but a lot thicker, and that increased thickness could eat into the weight savings. Rockwell used a glass leaf spring in the steel-tube gear on its Lark and Darter airplanes of the 1970s but overall, it came out heavier than the steel leaf or rod of the Cessna 172 they were trying to compete against.

The Cub-type gear made of light steel tubing is going to be hard to beat for lightness. Draggy, maybe, but not much weight to it.

Dan

Just because somebody didn't know how to do it doesnít mean it cant be done. There is more to composite gear then using a chunk of fiberglass, with a clever design and selected use of carbon fiber it can be done a lot better,
    This leg weighs 7.3 lbs but I donít know what the piper cub leg with the bungee weighs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fiberglass landing gear legs-im001013.jpg  

Banned

There is a PIK-26 thread and a link to build up here by pik-26. There is a bended plywood with layers of classfibre in between. Whole set up was 4.6 kilos ( 10 lbs ).

Having done the calculations, I can tell you that Wittman gear made with fiberglass legs can work.

Remember this: The weight of the legs is entirely a function of how much energy you are storing and how efficient your spring is. All leaf springs are about the same efficiency, but you can store a lot more elastic energy in a pound of heat treated steel than you can in a pound of aluminum or fiberglass. OK, maybe you could do better with titanium alloys or graphite fiber, but not by much. Unless I find someone who does titanium cheap, my legs will be alloy steel, quenched and tempered, then shot peened.

Now, these discussions of the traditional bungee gear, well, you will play merry hell trying to beat it for energy absorption per pound, and on a slow airplane, the drag hardly matters.

Billski
    Hugh Lorimer and Manticore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsimpso1 View Post
    Remember this: The weight of the legs is entirely a function of how much energy you are storing and how efficient your spring is. All leaf springs are about the same efficiency, but you can store a lot more elastic energy in a pound of heat treated steel than you can in a pound of aluminum or fiberglass. OK, maybe you could do better with titanium alloys or graphite fiber, but not by much. Unless I find someone who does titanium cheap, my legs will be alloy steel, quenched and tempered, then shot peened.

Now, these discussions of the traditional bungee gear, well, you will play merry hell trying to beat it for energy absorption per pound, and on a slow airplane, the drag hardly matters.

Billski
    I've seen EZ gear flex so much the inside of the wheel pants were ground off - and then taxi away just fine - how's that for storing energy?
    I would think a slow plane could benefit from any drag reduction. If not, maybe that's helping to keep it so slow.....

PS: Featherlite in Ukiah, CA still makes the E-Glass gear for canards.

I wish it were that simple on retractables. Trying to work out landing gear design for my aircraft is making me want to fellate the business end of a shotgun. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SVSUSteve View Post
    I wish it were that simple on retractables. Trying to work out landing gear design for my aircraft ....... LOL
    I assume you are aware of the designs used in the Velocity and Berkut?

Yes, but that's not what I'm looking for.

For microlights projects I made up a block and laid up layers of glass with preformed mahogany straps as a core then more glass cloth, when set used glass tape and bound complete assy well. The axle mounts were 16swg 6082T6 folded, bolted to assy. and filled with a matrix of glass and epoxy. Smooth curves are better than sharp corners.....................Hughie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fiberglass landing gear legs-sd-60.jpg   fiberglass landing gear legs-u.c-axle-mount.jpg   fiberglass landing gear legs-u.c.-block.jpg  

fiberglass landing gear legs-untitled-1-.jpg   fiberglass landing gear legs-u.c.-drg.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread