• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Post curing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohioflyer

Hi everyone. I'm a wood builder but I know thiat this is the place to ask epoxy questions. I've had lots of experience using West System in marine applications, but i have decided to go with the MGS system for my plane because I understand that its actually certified in Germany (Germans and aviation go together like beer and bratwurst). I have never done any post curing but plan to, and here lie some of my questions. When epoxy is post cured we heat it at x degrees for y time the increase its properties. After the initial cure is there a limited amount of time to get it post cured, or can I post cure it a year later? (I seem to remember Orion mentioning in a post that the secondary cure in some epoxies happens over time anyway, is MGS one of these?) If there is no limit can I simply do a few BIG post cures and be done with it? Will repeated heating and cooling damage the strength? When the plane sits in the sun gets so hot that the epoxy starts to soften little, does the epoxy reagain all of its strenght upon cooloing down, or do its properties degrade a little for having been heated so? I wonder because if I build a fuse frame and post cure it, later I build up the skeleton and post cure it, then I skin it and do a final post cure. After all this the original frame has been post cured 3 times, and the post cure temps are likely to be higher than the heat it will see on the tarmack. If these questions seem obiously foolish I apologise, I'm sure once I actully get started all of my uncertanties will disappear (I say knowing full well that the opposite is true).

Thanks

Ed

Back