• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

HELP!! Hotwire Saw 12V adjustable amp Power Source....need assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblink.007

Team:

I've hit a brick wall in my project. Needing a hotwire saw to cut foam pieces (which I have constructed..no problem there), I seem to be at a loss as to a power source; and where to find one/make one. I know I need a 12V 2-6 Amp adjustable power source, but apparently, these do not exist-at least the adjustable ones. My saw uses .032 safety wire, and has a cutting wire length of 32 inches.

I found a single power supply that matched the 12V, 2-6 Amp adjustable requirement that the books call for, but I'm sorry, I am not willing to spend the $550 those people want for it.

I've seen auto battery chargers that do this, but are not adjustable, as I know I need to adjust the temperature accordingly with the wire.

I'm sure the answer is right under my nose. If anyone can enlighten me, I would be most appreciative. If anybody reading this is wanting to sell such an adjustable power supply, I'm open to negotiation! I am also open to wiring diagrams and instructions on how to make such a supply. I might be an aerodynamicist by education and pilot by trade, but I won'e lie...anything electrical that is not avionics is a lost science to me (scary to think, since I am FCC Repair-licensed..lol)

Thanks in advance!

Likely arrived at the answer already, but still confused for once,

-Brian

Back