• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Streamlined Landing Gear: How would you build this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Airfoil Main Gear.JPG

This is a screen snip of a FEA model I have been working on. This shows the displacement with a 4 G load as about 3.2 inches at the ends

It has an elliptical cross section with a web down the center at the maximum thickness. The curve is also elliptical with a span of 64 inches and a height of 9 inches. Essentially two D sections stuck back to back. Taper is in both width and thickness. At the center it is 6 inches x 1.5 inches, and 3x0.75 at the ends. The center +/-10 inches is constant width. The preliminary numbers look really good

I AM NOT asking about the composite layup schedule (still working on it), but how would you build this?

One idea I have is to hotwire some extruded foam and then bend to the elliptical curve with the aide of a heat gun. Much like a foam core wing. This would be done in two sections (front and back). Then apply some cloth for the shear web. Stick the two halves together and cover the whole thing with more cloth.

As for the layup, I will ask one question. How much would some graphlite rods on the shear web be of use?

Back