• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First time builder....Cozy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

deftone

Hey!

My first thread on here....although I admit to being a long time lurker while I have been researching what I would like to build!

After much (oh god sooo much) deliberation I finally settled on the Cozy Mk IV. I have a pretty simple mission, me+SHMBO+bags. Good speed and long range. My "mission within the mission" is that I want to visit all MLB ball parks in one season!

I have never worked with composites before, however I have spent my whole career in Engineering, so I think I will be capable of pulling it off. I do plan to keep to a reasonably tight budget, by this I dont mean cutting corners, simply that I dont intend to fit a fancy $50k avionics package or $30k paint scheme..you get the idea.

Most of the construction will take place in my 2 car garage at home now that my project car has been completed (1969 Fiat spider for those who are interested). I assume that when it comes to fitting wings etc I will have to move to a hanger as I guess it will be too wide to be transported by trailer at that point? Perhaps someone could advise?

I have several EAA chapters nearby, I joined the biggest....EAA chapter 12-Houston, and found one of the members has already completed a Cozy, so I hope he will be a great source of information!

One reason that I decided to go homebuilt rather than the Mooneys I was looking at, is that I have a large amount of spare time. I work a 28day on, 28day off rotation, with very little time commitments in this 28day off period. It would be my intention to get as many hours in as possible (assuming the bank balance allows for this). What would be REALLY great (and pretty unrealistic) would be flying it to OSH '15, as the last few years I have driven...and driving from Houston is a drag!!

I signed up for the mailing lists and the canardzone forum. Seems to be a great deal of information out there. I was considering printing it all out and making up folders to put on my garage shelf for referencing, but now Im not sure if the shelving will hold so much weight in paper!

I have also registered for the EAA composite class in Houston on Dec 6-7. The timing is very fortunate for me and I expect it will be $350 well invested!

Regarding buying materials...I see that Aircraft Spruce sells the materials by chapter, but seems confusing...for example it lists the Ch3 kit at around 550, but when added to cart it jumps up to over 700, its not tax, so Im not sure if its just an old price on the site. I was also shocked by the shipping costs. Nearly $200 for the cheapest shipping of Ch3 materials to Texas??

I seen on some other builders sites that Wicks sold similar "chapter" material kits, but they dont appear to be on their site now, did they stop this?

Aside from Spruce and Wicks, are there any other suppliers I should be checking out?

Anyway...I plan on becoming a much more active member on here rather than lurking like I have been, thanks for all the help and advise I have already received, even if you didnt realize it!

Steve​

Back