• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Metal guy building a big composite part, would love your thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarr

Supporting Member
Hey HBA,

I need a little advice from some of the composite gurus on the forum. Building an RV-10 has greatly improved my sheet metal skills, but I’m still pretty low level when it comes to fiberglass.

My next project is to build a composite overhead console/air duct that will ultimately be bonded into the cabin roof. Here’s a couple of pictures to give the general idea:

overhead1.JPG blogger-image--738208354.jpg

My primary goals are to
- make it look nice
- keep the weight low (the carbon console above weighs 2.5lbs)
- learn some new skills
- non-conductive so to avoid detuning nearby antennas

The plan so far is to build a sandwich style structure with 1-2 layers of glass on each side of a 1/8” PVC foam core. I’m thinking of using 2 plies (+-45, 0/90 or 2x +-45) of #120 3oz cloth on either side of the core. I also considered using a few plies of heavier 7781 cloth, but I’m not sure I can get it stiff enough without a lot of plies/weight.

I can think of two general ways to build the console. The first is to create a foam male plug and layup the first layers of cloth, bond in the core, and then layup the final layers of cloth. At the end I’d have to figure out a way to get the foam out. Alternatively, I could skip the plug and just make three pieces of sandwich board on the bench (two sides and a lid) and then bond them together in a secondary operation to form the overall shape. Any thoughts on one method vs. the other?

A related question for the “male plug approach” is whether to bond the console to the top itself during the layup or to mask/release it after the layup and bond it during a secondary operation?

Lastly, how fancy should I get with the layup itself? My tendency is to attempt either a straight wet layup or to make a between-plastic-sheets “pre-preg”. Using peel ply seems pretty straightforward as well. Is there a good reason to go whole-hog vacuum bag? I have a HVAC vacuum pump, but no other experience or tools for bagging, especially something this big.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences—still pretty green at this composite stuff.
David

Back