• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminium Sandwich Panel Fuse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzdavo

Hello All

We have been using flat insulated sandwich panels at work recently and its strength is pretty impressive. (50mm expanded polystyrene core with thin steel skin will span sbout 4 meters with a 1 Kpa load!)

It has got me thinking about using composite sandwich panels but substituting the glass for aluminium.
The reasons being isotropic material (Can't lay it up wrong!), can bond to polystyrene (extruded) and has minimal finishing required.
The panels would need to be bonded together (Reading my way through the aluminium bonding topics on HBA)

Please see my construction sketch below. Is this a fundamentally flawed idea? One issue may be that the inner and outer skins don't join?
(This would be a boxy - 'entry level' construction method)

(I posted this in composites as this is where all the foam composite topics are - thought this was the most appropriate place?)

Cheers
David

Ali Foam Sandwich 1.jpg

Back