• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LS1 Engine for aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohawk

This past week I was talkiing with a friend at work who is into cars. He was telling me about the Chevy LS1 aluminum block engine. That got me thinking...

From what he said, it's a pretty light weight package for the power that's delivered.

A couple days ago I found a performance chart (rpm/hp curve) and if I remember correctly, it put out around 200 hp @ 2,000 rpm (peak hp is around 340 out of the crate).

Here's where the wheels got to turning...

- For most of the ideas I'm running in my head, I wouldn't need more than 200 hp.

- Would it be possible to set the rev limit at around 3,000 rpm? (I don't know much about the computers controlling car engines - I miss point ignitions ;)).

- How hard would it be to fabricate a roughly 1:1 belt drive (to isolate the prop from the crankshaft).

- It seems that running at what would be "highway rpm" rather than near-peak would make for an extremely long engine life.

Eagerly awaiting opinions...

Back