• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Float installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftsven

Here' a formula for installing floats on "One of a Kind Aircraft/ Float combination.

"20% of the Beam width is distance the Heel got to be aft of the aircraft Center of Gravity".

Note: The Beam is the widest part of the float, (normally at the main compartment station)

I got this formula from EDO Engineering many years ago and I have
successfully been using it ever since.

The procedure I have been using is:
1. Lift aircraft, and remove the gear, and make sure it is in level flight
attitude.
2. Hang a plumb bob from the Mid C.G.Range
3. Calculate the 40% distance of the beam
4. Position the float so the heel is this distance aft of the plumb bob line.
5. Center the floats laterally under the aircraft.
6. Determine the A.O.A for your particular aircraft. (High power A/C normally
2-4 Deg.) and position the A/C accordingly.
7. Measure the struts and the Diagonals length from the Float attachment to
the fuselage float fittings) cut, drill, install.
8. Install front and rear cross wires.
9. Level A/C laterally with the cross wires.
10.Install, water rudder control / retraction wires.

"Mistakes is portals to new discovery"

Last edited:
Back