• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Personal Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gray Out

Hello to one and all.

I suppose I'm the new guy in the hangar but an old guy at the airport. I have been doodling around for about a year now and happened to run into this site when I figured there was enough merit in my design to take it to a serious group for some advice and guidance.

I am interested in designing a personal light sport aircraft that will be profiled as a fighter plane and so far everything I have done looks pretty good. In finalizing weight and CG studies, I came across a problem that threw the whole design into a tail spin.

The design began as a single seat fighter and I figured, ahhh, let me get a tandem pilot in there so he can watch my six while I'm on the enemies six.:grin:
Then it happened. I could not for the life of me figure out any way to get the static margin to stay within limits with the extra pilot and instruments in place. That percent went from a balanced and relaxed 16.5% to a "hair raising aerobatic, keep your **** hand on the stick" 6.4% percent.

I will share all my work with the community as soon as I learn how to do so, but until that time, and hopefully I will be here for a while, has anyone been able to work out that little proble with the static margin in tandem? The design is in tractor configuration.

Thanks
John

Back