• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revamping the CH-801

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicel87

I have been looking at the Zenith web site alot lately and one of the things that recently struck me was that they could be missing out on a potential area of opportunity. There are not that many 4 seat high wing metal planes designed for the O-360 series engines. Most of them, such as the RV-10, bump you up into the 540 series. ($$$).

First consider that the CH-701 evolved into the CH-750 and has gotten solid reviews on how much easier the kit goes together with more CNC drilled holes completed for the builder... but it is still clearly a STOL aircraft.

Now imagine not only doing something similar with the CH-801 but also putting a different twist on the new design so that it could be more of a touring aircraft capable of 20+ kts more speed than the current 801. Perhaps a different wing without the slats and flaperons (with small modifications maybe the CH-640 wing would work) and some stream lining of things like the cowling and wheel pants. Reshape the fuselage since extreme STOL is no longer the objective and the plane takes on a whole new look.

Could be marketed as the CH-850 in one of two configurations - either STOL or Touring.

Here is my 30 minute mock up :)

Attachments

• 801.jpg
    801.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,178
Back