• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pitch Trim Drag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member

Is there a general rule concerning the drag contribution of various pitch trim methods? Specifically, I’m thinking of the all moving stab (ragwing Piper and Mooney), bungee, and the conventional elevator mounted adjustable tab. I would guess that the overall speed range and CG range would dictate the amount of “power” required for the trim system, but what about drag at cruise? Seems to me, the ideal low drag solution is to have the stab set to the optimal incidence angle and the CG as far aft as stability allows. This allows no tab or elevator displacement, thus minimal drag.
I guess what I’m looking for is some generalization of a low drag method to shoot for in a 250 knot airplane with a fairly “tight” CG range. I like tabs over the bungee simply because of the redundant pitch trim ability, but don’t like a secondary surface due to complexity, weight and drag.
If I’m putting the cart before the horse, or if the overall drag is down in the noise, please let me know.

Thanks

Mike

Back