• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculating Gyroscopic Propeller Loads (Shaft Size)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
All,
I have an engineer looking at the design of the driveshaft for my V-8 experiment. Concerning gyroscopic loads using the standard 78 inch Hartzel 3 blade, we have run into a calculated shaft size that exceeds aviation norms. What is driving this is his reference to the FAR’s that states yaw and pitch acceleration of 2.5 and 1.0 radians/second respectively. My question is: Is this a limit, or an endurance load? If the 2.5 rads/sec is an endurance load, then the shaft size is calculated to be over 4 inches to handle the 70 pound propeller at 3000 RPM. Clearly, the AEIO 540 swings this propeller and does not have a 4 inch shaft, so what is the nature of this rads/sec specification?
Thanks
Mike

Back