• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composite Wing Construction - Spar Placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been reviewing some of my source materials with an eye to getting back to work on my design project. I've been looking at hand-layup wing construction examples. I was reviewing the Quickie Aircraft Q1 and Q2 construction manuals and came across something that makes no sense to me, and that means I'm probably missing something.

The manuals for both aircraft clearly show (both in drawing and description) the spar cap plies being laid up on the outside of the wing skins. That is to say, going from the inside of the wing to the outside, you'd have this order of materials:
  1. Innermost: Foam Core
  2. Wing skins are then laid up on this (2 UNI plies at 45° bias to the leading edge, 90° bias to each other).
  3. Outermost: Spar plies (1-6 UNI plies, depending on spanwise location)
This design seems completely counter-intuitive to me. I would've expected to see the caps laid up into the "troughs" in the foam core, and then have the skins laid up over that.

Was the method used in the Qx aircraft chosen to facilitate spar cap quality inspection during construction? Some structural reason I'm unfamiliar with? Is it just weird and worked anyway, despite being "weird"?

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Back