• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

3LS - Three Lifting Surfaces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterJC

Hello,

This 3LS topic seems to surface from time to time, so I thought that it deserves a dedicated thread. I wasn't able to find any previous one, so here we go.

It seems that quite many people end up drawing their high-speed designs featuring 3LS and pusher props. Both concepts are interesting and promising, but their performance and design parameters are (still) not so well known.

In 80's, AIAA published these 3LS studies (could be more):

Experimental study of three-lifting surface configuration

OSTOWARI, C., ; NAIK, D., Texas A&M University, College Station
Journal of Aircraft 1988
0021-8669 vol.25 no.2 (106-112)
doi: 10.2514/3.45549
An experimental study of the lift, drag and static longitudinal stability for a three lifting surface configuration

OSTOWARI, C., Texas A&M University, College Station; NAIK, D., Texas A&M University, College Station
AIAA-1986-398
Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 24th, Reno, NV, Jan 6-9, 1986. 13p.
I have read the former study - in a nutshell, it states that:

1. 3LS can give wider CG limits
2. Spar could be put behind the cabin easily
3. About 30% smaller wing and stabilizer area - benefit mostly offset by front wing drag.
4. Cruise performance generally slightly inferior to conventional tail, but noticeably better than canard.
5. Performance gains found on certain cases:
- on high AOA (trim drag)
- on high transonic speeds (mach trim drag)

This study supports the fourth point:
Design and Analysis of Optimally-Loaded Lifting Systems
Thus, the three-surface design provides distinct aerodynamic advantages over the wing/canard combination and, in this case, may closely approach the performance of a wing/tail system. No distinct performance advantage of the three-surface design as compared with the conventional design arises in this case, however.

And, btw, there's one more application: gust load alleviation, like on B-1B Lancer. Small all-moving forewings that do the trick.

Here's some more discussion:
Aerodynamic engineering - Three-Lifting Surface

And what comes to pusher props, I recall that the verdict was that tractor propwash friction and pusher slipstream effect "usually" even out. But... what was interesting there, was those cases when it wasn't "usually" :)
If my memory serves, pusher prop came on top. That was some 50's NACA paper whose title I have forgotten. This is vague, I know - I trust that some of you will have a better archival policy than I do...

Cheers,
PeterJC

Last edited:
Back