• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft designed for rudder only (aileron-less) turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmoser

Some aircraft are designed to accommodate rudder-only turns.
My first RC model airplane had this, and my first hang glider did too (Quicksilver B).
Generous amounts of dihedral seems to be the key ingredient in making reasonably successful rudder-only turns..
But I can't find much in the way of design guidelines for this type of aircraft.
A friend of mine is getting close to flying a prototype hang glider that is strikingly similar to the Quicksilver, and I'd like to have some design assurance that he is using the right amount of dihedral, rudder area, rudder lever arm, etc.

Happy landings!

Attachments

• 02241002.jpg
    02241002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,318
Back