+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freedom Master AirSharkII

Re: Freedom Master AirSharkII

Hey Todd,
    If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to read that article.
    Thanks,
    Craig

If it's this one, I have it. Otherwise I would like to read it, thanks. Sport Aviation - Comp Monster Report - Feb. 1996 AVIATION
    Tom

I don't think that is the article Tom. This ones about the comp monster not the FM Airshark II. Craig

I have these articles also. Oops, only one loaded. The files size is too large on the other two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freedom Master AirSharkII-airshark-article-ga-mag-1985-1988.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AirSharkII; November 9th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
    Tom

Some old video of the P-300 push/pull model and the Equator P-300 full scale single.

Tom

I say keep pushing! contact dornier - and ask them for advice. it sounds crazy but you would be surprised how helpful they can be. they know we hombuilders are not competition and are happy to inspire others.

There is way too much psudo engineering in this string. If you want a 3D cad file of the rotax 914 engine and some very good technical advice i can put you in contact with a very smart fellow in B.C.

Depending on your budget you may want to look into Orenda engines (canada), and even the Chevy V8 conversions being made for the sea-bee. also canadian!

Good luck and don't give up!

Shane
    remember: Mother nature always wins.

Registered User Rick McWilliams's Avatar

The flaps on the airshark must be very stout. At 50 knots the dynamic pressure is about 5000 lbs per square foot.

I fly a Mermaid M6. It is a mid wing configuration. Water take off performance is excellent. I bent an inboard flap rib by using too much flap in rough water. [IMG]file:///Users/rickmcwilliams/Desktop/M6%20Mermaid%20TO.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freedom Master AirSharkII-m6-mermaid-.jpg  

[QUOTE=Woodenwings;96635]I say keep pushing! contact dornier - and ask them for advice. it sounds crazy but you would be surprised how helpful they can be. they know we hombuilders are not competition and are happy to inspire others.

There is way too much psudo engineering in this string. If you want a 3D cad file of the rotax 914 engine and some very good technical advice i can put you in contact with a very smart fellow in B.C.

Depending on your budget you may want to look into Orenda engines (canada), and even the Chevy V8 conversions being made for the sea-bee. also canadian!

I got a chance to fly the DO-24 with Iren Dornier(grandson) a few years ago. We traded stick time in my SeaRey. I think I got the better end of the deal.! Iren showed great interest in the SeaRey then, which inspired his S-Ray 007 design. I 'll try to give him call and see what his thoughts are on this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freedom Master AirSharkII-dornier-day-056.jpg   Freedom Master AirSharkII-dornier-day-055.jpg   Freedom Master AirSharkII-erin-dornier-searey-pax.jpg  

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McWilliams View Post
    The flaps on the airshark must be very stout. At 50 knots the dynamic pressure is about 5000 lbs per square foot.

I fly a Mermaid M6. It is a mid wing configuration. Water take off performance is excellent. I bent an inboard flap rib by using too much flap in rough water. [IMG]file:///Users/rickmcwilliams/Desktop/M6%20Mermaid%20TO.jpg[/IMG]

The AirShark is restricted to flap 15* for take off and landing(water) and even then only when on the step. Flaps are standard construction. The hull will be lowered 4" to improve cabin height, displacment, and flap clearance.
    Last edited by AirSharkII; April 14th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Tom

[QUOTE=AirSharkII;97257]
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodenwings View Post
    I say keep pushing! contact dornier - and ask them for advice. it sounds crazy but you would be surprised how helpful they can be. they know we hombuilders are not competition and are happy to inspire others.

I got a chance to fly the DO-24 with Iren Dornier(grandson) a few years ago. We traded stick time in my SeaRey. I think I got the better end of the deal.! Iren showed great interest in the SeaRey then, which inspired his S-Ray 007 design. I 'll try to give him call and see what his thoughts are on this project.

Please pass along my regards to Iren, we have never met, but his grandfather's efforts have inspired me too! I think Iren's commitment to his family legacy is very commendable.

Great pictures! I'm totally jealous!
    Shane

AirSharkII
    I just came across your posting and I am indeed interested. I have an Adventurer amphibian
    Freedom Master AirSharkII-adventurer-drawing-edit-b.jpg

which I am trying to revise/redesign. So, I am running into the same considerations. I was wondering what problems you are trying to overcome. With the Adventurer, My primary concern is the lack of an engineered design. Before I ever allow it to fly, I will have evaluated and redesigned, if necessary, all the critical elements. My most bothersome concern is the high thrust line and a lack of dynamic balance due to an undersized horizontal tail plane and elevator.
    Dick in S Florida

Smile Thrust Line

I feel like i am on the same page as you with regards to high centrelines and short tail moments! I am considering sweeping the wing backwards to add some stability. but that can introduce additional problems. I really need to test a large model at this point and make it do strange things!

I am not the best guy to help you with thrust line issues. I will be seeking out the help of more qualified people than myself when determining the thrust line properly. I have also considered having an adjustable thrust line similar to a trim tab in use. I have spoken to several aerospace engineers who have suggested that it may be a good idea to calculate the nominal location and then tweak it during flight testing. Eventually the final "found" setting can be designed into a simple mount. the thust line could be made to adjust in x and y to counter act torque too.

Tweaking it under a series of throttle conditions in combination with drag and pitch changing conditions (flaps and gear) to establish the best compromise with safety in mind (least pitch change during critical moments i.e. takeoff).

Some designs place high centre airflow over the Stab. to act like a self regulating pitch dampener. The problem is then the controls feel ineffective with no power. or too sensitive at high power. ???

The best thing i can do is very accurately figure out the CG, the centre of lift and give the machine the longest tail moment possible. I often consider trying to place major structures in such a way as to keep the thrust as close to the cenrte of mass as possible but it leads to complicated mounting and potential safety problems associated with engines behind humans. It's a pain in the ass!

Rotax also won't warranty the engine if the 412's turbos and air boxes are moved from below to above. The Rotax 9 series can't be operated inverted either. the predator drone has done it successfully but i have been having a hard time getting my hand's on one!

I believe that when Happy Miles went out of business due to the structural issues with the adventurer, a group of builders hired Martin Holeman to do an analysis of the design. I dont know how you will get in contact with them, maybe you could contact Holeman. I've copied here a thread on the Adventurer that was on the seabuild Yahoo site which makes interesting reading.
    Craig

Re: [seabuild] Adventurer 2+2 Amphibian brochure uploaded to files

TO: 1 recipient
    Show Details
    Message Body
    Met Happy Miles (actually put him up for the night) on his way to Sun-Fun to
    debut the plane, it was pretty rough, he admitted to having a quarter
    million in the project at the time. Wonder who got it?

One of the early ones came apart, group of builders hired Martin Holman to
    run a FEA on it and he found a problem with a certain speed at half tanks if
    memory serves.
    He had marginal engineering by his own admission over dinner and that is a
    recipe for disaster. Also pretty heavy.

He told the story about a guy calling in to order one while they were still
    in the plug stage, guy was 6'6" tall so they just decided to raise the roof
    , engine 4" to make it fit him with no regard for the other dominoes that
    started falling as a result of that change.

Real piece of work, stay clear.

John

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:29 PM
    To: seabuild@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [seabuild] Adventurer 2+2 Amphibian brochure uploaded to files

I came across a brochure I received at Oshkosh in 1993. It's on the
    Adventure Air 2+2 amphibian that was kitted in the 90's. I also remember
    seeing pictures of this aircraft with a Chevy V8 engine for power.

All composite, 4 place. I don't know what happened to the company or how the
    aircraft performed.

Maybe some of you can fill in the blanks.

Coraview

------------------------------------
    My avatar is a Thurston TA16 Seafire, not sure who built it, but if my project ends up as nice as this , I'll be wrapped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123